30 Apr BBQ Carrot Hotdogs with a Creamy Coleslaw
Posted at 13:22h in Recipes
- 4 – 6 Carrots
- 4 – 6 Whole Wheat hot dog buns
- 1 cup BBQ Sauce of your choice
- Cooking Spray
- 1 Medium size Green Cabbage
- 1 Bunch of Cilantro
- 4 Green Onions
- 1 Jalapeno or Serrano pepper
- 1 cup of Mayonnaise
- ½ cup Sour Cream
- 2 tbsp Lime Juice
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a bowl, mix together the mayo, sour cream, lime juice, salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Cut the cabbage in quarters, remove the core and slice thin, place in a bowl. Chop the cilantro, slice the green onions on a bias, and slice the jalapeno or serrano into thin disc. The mandolin would work best for this. Place in the same bowl as cabbage, set aside.
- After washing and peeling your carrots, cut them down to the same size as your hot dog buns.
- Blanch carrots in salted water until al dente, 6-8 minutes.
- When carrots reach al dente, place directly on a grill that has been sprayed with cooking spray. You are looking for nice grill marks, 3-4 minutes.
- When removed from grill, brush the carrots with your choice of BBQ sauce.
- At this point, you want to mix your coleslaw dressing into your cabbage mix. This allows your slaw to keep a crunchy texture.
- Toast your hotdog buns, and then assemble your carrot hotdogs. For extra flavor, use a squeeze bottle to apply more of the BBQ sauce before you place the slaw on top.
Source: Recipe provided by Chef Assistant Cristina Anselmo of All About Catering Las Vegas