30 Apr Strawberry Gazpacho
- 2 ½ lbs. strawberries, greens removed
- 8 oz. white onions, thinly sliced
- 8 oz. red bell peppers, seeded, and thinly sliced
- 10 oz. cucumbers, peeled, seeded, and thinly sliced
- 1 ea. clove of garlic, peeled, thinly sliced
- 10 g. tarragon, just leaves
- *Strawberry Consommé
- 100 ml. Balsamic Vinegar
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
Make the strawberry consommé (recipe below). Crush strawberries by hand over a bowl. Add all the other ingredients, extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Allow to marinate for 1-2 days. Puree in a blender, then strain. Adjust the thickness by thinning the puree down with strawberry consommé. Adjust the seasoning with fine sea salt.
Hull several pounds of ripe strawberries and place in a bowl. Wrap the bowl tightly in plastic wrap and place the bowl over a double boiler. Simmer until the strawberries have given up their liquid and nothing remains. Strain the consommé, letting it drain for a bit without pressing, and chill. This is the liquid that you use to thin down the gazpacho.
Source: Reporting by Dorene Internicola; Editing by Patricia Reaney